Why we make buildings of RCC instead of steel is due to the following reasons.
Though steel has higher compressive strength and tensile strength, due to the following reasons, we can’t build high rise or skyscraper building from steel.
- Steel gets easily corroded
- As compared with concrete, steel is more vulnerable to environmental agencies. So, the durability of steel is more than that of steel.
- Steel is costlier than concrete
- Steel section required for same strength criteria are slender than concrete, and this gives the feeling of insecurity.
- The strength of steel reduces as temperature increases. In other words, steel structures are prone to loss of strength with heat.
- Steel is a good conductor of electricity, so, it poses a serious question on the safety of human lives.